Share my passion

Follow me on my journey through Motherhood, the Divine world of Raw Organic Eating, Greater Spiritual Awarness and a life that will eventually lead to Self Sufficiency and Complete Contentment.......This is my journey.....



Friday 7 October 2011

Best ever Raw 'Caramel slice' cake

Well, this raw dessert has been labeled by my husband as the 'Best ever' and I would have to probably agree as it didn't last more than 24 hours in our house - and when it was gone, there was a lot of finger pointing at who had the most and who had the last piece!

To make this delicious raw dessert, as usual, I just made it up, as I created and the end result was amazing!

Raw 'Caramel slice' cake
Recipe:
I started by making the base by blending in the food processor:
about 2 cups of activated pecans 
with 5 or so dates,
a couple of tablespoons of my homemade raw carob powder
and about the same amount of cacao powder
with a dribble of raw honey. 
I then pressed this chocolaty fudge into the base of a spring sided cake tin. 

Carob mousse layer:
Next I blended in the high speed blender until smooth
about a cup of flesh from a couple of young coconuts
with about 1/2 cup of my homemade raw carob powder
and a sprinkle of vanilla powder.
I also added about a tablespoon of raw honey.
I then poured this carob mousse over the base of the cake.

Caramel sauce layer:
Next was the caramel layer.
I blended a handful of activated almonds
with 1/4 cup of mesquite powder
and 1/4 cup lucuma powder
with 1/2 cup of honey
and 1 tablespoon of maca powder.
Some of the almonds didn't blend completely, leaving crunchy chunks amongst the caramel. 
I spread this caramel sauce evenly over the carob mousse layer.

Chocolate topping:
The final layer was made by whisking equal parts
melted coconut oil,
honey
and cacao powder.
I then drizzled this chocolate sauce over the top of the cake and let set in the fridge before serving. 

'best ever' raw 'caramel slice' cake!
Absolute Raw Bliss at its finest!


  

   

8 comments:

  1. wow... so how much is 1 to buy??? hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually I better start practising so I can make it when I go home to NZ.. wish I could pull it out of the photo and eat it! nom nom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Michael has been hoping I will pluck another one of these out of the fridge some time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been a hit with my hubby too. I surprised him with it after coming home from Leonora and he polished off a quarter of it. I didn't seem to get the caramel layer quite right - it came out more like a nut butter than a sauce, and I was then all out of agave & honey and couldn't adjust it. But it still had the taste factor happening.Small slices for me - but it's an all round winner. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this cake at our recent meditation evening and gave it the "wow factor" as did all the other guests. Would love to make it but haven't heard of some of the ingredients! Are they available locally? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Shirley,
    I am so glad you all enjoyed this cake. It has been a bit of a hit in our house and so far has the record for lasting the shortest period of time in our house!
    As for the more unusual ingredients, they I am assuming is the Macca, Mesquite and Lucuma powders. I dont think they can be bought local, I buy them through my raw wholesaler in Perth. They are the powders of the root and fruit of some super foods. I am more than happy to do an order for you and purchase them for you if you are keen to get some, they will keep for a long time in the fridge. Just send me a message on facebook and I can let you know prices etc. If you are not quite ready to buy such exotic ingredients just yet, then they can be left out. They just give the caramel sauce more of a caramel flavour. Almonds and honey with maybe a few dates would still give a lovely sweet nutty sauce to complement the carob fudge. As for carob powder, this is sold (not raw though as it has been roasted) at Go vita locally. You can also use cacao powder instead of carob and is also sold at govita and is raw for a intense chocolate flavour. If you like, just browse through a few of my cake recipes and find something to start with that may have more common ingredients and try them first. All the cakes in this site are absolutely delicious and range from very simple to a little more involved. But please let me know if you want more info or a supply of any ingredients as I can get them for you from my supplier in Perth.
    Thanks for your interest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Precious Organics in Myaree stocks Lacuma and Mesquite powder. Should they go in the fridge? I currently store mine in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No need to put these in the fridge. Mine stay in sealed jars on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete