Share my passion

Follow me on my journey through Motherhood, the Divine world of Raw Organic Eating, Greater Spiritual Awarness and a life that will eventually lead to Self Sufficiency and Complete Contentment.......This is my journey.....



Sunday 24 July 2011

Raw fermented nut cheese

So after looking at a few beautiful pictures of some mounds of raw nut cheeses on the Internet, I was enticed to try it myself.
It was definitely a long process, but now that I am eating the rewards, I do believe it was worth it - particularly after my raw crackers are finished dehydrating in the morning!

The final product...Raw fermented nut cheese after many days of preparing.

Making rejuvelac:
So the process began by soaking 1 cup of wheat berries for 12 hours to begin the making of rejuvelac. The soaked berries are then drained, rinsed and placed in nut milk bag to sprout for about 3 days. When the tails reach the length of the berries, they are ready. The sprouted berries are then placed in a clean bowl with 2 cups of filtered water and left for another 2 days to soak. The end product should be rejuvelac. Slightly sour lemon tang with a slight amount of white froth visible on surface.

Sprouted wheat berries soaking in filtered water for 48 hours to make rejuvelac
The rejuvelac is poured off the sprouted wheat berries and can be stored for about 3 days in the fridge while the next step begins.

Soak 2 cups of cashews in filtered water for 12 hours. Drain and rinse. In the blender, add the soaked cashews and enough rejuvelac to allow the blender to combine to make a smooth cream.
I added some nutritional yeast flakes, garlic, seasoned salt and some fresh herbs from the garden to the blend. The herbs made the cheese turn slightly green, so I added a touch of turmeric to make it more yellow, but I should have really left the herbs out and kept the colour white. It is also recommended to add a sprinkle of probiotic powder to kick start the fermentation process especially if you are using water only and not rejuvelac. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of "Inner health plus' probiotic that I had in the fridge. 
After the cheesy paste is formed, transfer to a nut bag and tie off in a ball, leaving it to sit for a further 48 hours in a warm spot. I left mine near the fire at night, or on top of the dehydrator if it was in use.
Rejuvelac and cashews blended and then rolled up in a but bag to begin the fermenting process 

After just one night, my small ball of cheese had grown to double its size! It's alive!

After 1 night of resting in a warm place, my cheese ball has come alive!
Finally after 2 days of resting, I then opened my bag of cheese and spread the contents into a lined bowl and set it in the fridge for another 12 hours to harden..

Spreading the fermented nut cheese into a lined bowl
ready for the final stage of hardening in the fridge.
At last after many days, my fermented nut cheese was ready to sample. I tipped the cheese onto a place, massaged a sprinkling of cumin seeds and dried coriander herbs around the edges and....

The final product - Raw fermented nut cheese coated in
cumin seeds and dried coriander.
.....sliced to serve.
Ready to eat on fresh raw crackers




A wonderful addition to a Raw picnic platter with raw crackers, raw olives,
raw pesto, raw carrot sticks and fresh cherry tomatoes from the garden.

6 comments:

  1. This recipe looks amazing. Good on you for being so patient to wait for the fermentation! I will definitely be trying this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I salivate every time I see raw cheese. That looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. This has been the most precise and helpful blog I've found so far and you actually included how to make rejuvelac rather then just suggesting it. I wasn't sure how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, this recipe is absolutely brilliant....I have made it twice now and enjoyed it very much.

    Do you mind if I share it in our local magazine – we have a small space to fill about organic cheese this month. (obviously I will give this blog a mention too)

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. Im so sorry I didn't see this earlier. I have been away from this blog for too long!!! Thank you so much for your kindness and I am so happy you have enjoyed this recipe. Id be delighted if you shared this recipe with your local magazine or anyone you wish to share it with!
    Peta

    ReplyDelete
  6. One day I will try that! Looks pretty easy actually.

    ReplyDelete