Share my passion

Follow me on my journey through Motherhood, the Divine world of Raw Organic Eating, Greater Spiritual Awarness and a life that will eventually lead to Self Sufficiency and Complete Contentment.......This is my journey.....



Monday 4 July 2011

My Birthday



Today is my 34th Birthday! A Birthday is not a Birthday without a grand cake, so I made the Best Raw Triple Layered Chocolate Cake ever!. Usually the Birthday girl gets the cake made for her, but as the dear hubby is in the middle of working night shift and honestly doesn't know where to begin when making a raw cake, this birthday girl had to do it herself - (with a little help from a couple a small helpers)

As the entire cake was a bit of an invention and experiment, I cant actually give an exact account of how I made it, but here is an idea.



The first FUDGE layer (base) was made up of 2 cups of soaked almonds. I originally was intending to churn this into almond butter, but because I presoaked the almonds and they were wet, it just didn't turn into an oily butter, so this became the start of my Birthday cake. To this wet almond pulp, I added about a cup of dates and some carob powder. I continued to process these ingredients in the food processor until it became smooth and fudgy. I pressed this layer into the bottom of a spring sided cake tin.

The second CREAM layer was made up of some shredded dry coconut, macadamia nuts and honey. This was blended until smooth and creamy. This cream was then pressed into the cake tin on top of the fudge layer.

The third MOUSSE layer was a random mix of 2 avocados, carob powder, cacao powder, agave syrup, vanilla, cashews, coconut oil and the pulp of a young coconut. This was blended in the food processor until whipped, resulting in a chocolate mousse like texture. I poured this into the cake tin, creating the last layer.

I left the cake to set in the fridge for a couple of hours. Then made an icing with equal parts melted coconut oil, agave syrup and cacao powder. After removing the cake from the tin, I spread this icing over the cake to cover the top and sides.
Finally to complete the cake, I topped it with a large handful of blueberries and raspberries. 





The result was divine to say the least! Each layer has a unique texture and taste, and the overall flavour was sweet and chocolaty with out being sickly and rich. Definitely my favourite cake so far....

Thanks Tash for the flowers!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment