Share my passion

Follow me on my journey through Motherhood, the Divine world of Raw Organic Eating, Greater Spiritual Awarness and a life that will eventually lead to Self Sufficiency and Complete Contentment.......This is my journey.....



Monday 17 October 2011

Fresh picked mullberry harvest and delicious fresh raw cheesecake

While on our regular afternoon bike ride through the streets of Kalgoorlie this week, we stumbled into this amazing old mulberry tree absolutely loaded with fresh, plump, juicy mulberries hanging over the fence! What a find. We instantly found ourselves in mulberry heaven...stuffing our faces until purple with mulberry stains. I have the fondest childhood memories of being perched high in our mulberry tree, stained from head to toe in purple juice. 




After eating what we could from the overhanging branches, we politely knocked on the owners door and asked if they minded if we return with a bucket to collect some more. Thankfully, they were more than happy for us to 'help ourselves' and even suggested we bring a ladder back to reach the higher ones. 

So with our plastic tubs and ladder, we returned and collected a lot, ate some more and had a lot of fun!













So now that we were all juicy and full of mulberry goodness, I thought about transforming a few into a delicious raw cheesecake. This was the result which was pretty darn delicious!


Raw cheesecake with freshly picked local neighbourhood mulberries

Recipes: Raw Mulberry Cheesecake

Base:
Process until combined about 2 cups of mixed activated pecans, macadamia nuts and almonds with about 3 dates. Press into a spring sided cake tin.

Filling:
blend until smooth:
3 cups of macadamia nuts
juice of 2 lemons
3/4 cup of melted coconut oil
half a cup of raw honey
pinch of salt and a sprinkle of vanilla powder

I then poured out 1/4 of the mixture into a bowl to keep it 'white' and then added a cup of fresh mulberries to the remaining mix still in the blender. I blended again until mixture was pink and whipped 

Assemble:
I poured the white cream mix first over the base, then poured the pink mix on top and swirled with a knife to create a pretty pattern.
I then topped with more fresh mulberries and left to set in the freezer.

It was a winner with the hubby who couldn't stop at one slice!


Delicious Raw mulberry cheesecake


5 comments:

  1. You make my mouth water Peta!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I know of a huge old mulberry tree on a farm close by. Peta what do you recommend as a substitute for coconut oil, I just don't like it much. Xxx charmaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Charmaine - great to hear from you! I think a great substitute would be cacao butter. The purpose of the butter is to hold the cashew nut filling solid when cooled so cacao will do the same thing. Or you could just do the same base and press into a tart dish so the base spread up the walls and then just fill it with a mix mulberries and young coconut flesh. Or just blended mulberries and serve frozen as a frozen dessert - hope that helps. Happy mulberry pie making - let me know the results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Peta,
    I have the mulberrys but I'm not sure they are going to make it to a pie. The kids are devouring them. I am also going to make a jar of jam to enter into the busselton show. Thanks for the other tip. I love the honesty of your blog I wish you and your family health and happiness and love. Xxx Charmaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mulberries are really best fresh anyway!
    You will have to let me know how the prize jam goes - I loved entering food and artwork into our local country show growing up - even won a few ribbons!
    Thanks for listening and your support Charmaine. Life is one big journey and I am thankful for what I am learning everyday as we seek that inner contenment and balance in life

    ReplyDelete