Share my passion

Follow me on my journey through Motherhood, the Divine world of Raw Organic Eating, Greater Spiritual Awarness and a life that will eventually lead to Self Sufficiency and Complete Contentment.......This is my journey.....



Wednesday 10 August 2011

More raw sweet treats, kale chips and green seeded crackers

Even while juice fasting, I have found motivation to churn out some more delightful raw snacks which I cant wait to feast on once I am finished my detox.

I have now enjoyed an easy 4 days of juice fasting which has been without any side effect. The more I indulge in fasting the easier it becomes. I have not pangs of hunger, no sensations of dizziness or lack of energy - completely opposite in fact. I have enjoyed 4 full days of constant activity, including 2 great yoga workouts, rollerskating with the kids and even found the motivation to give the interior of our car a thorough clean, tomorrow its the house windows and I am nearly up to date with my laundry which doesn't happen often! This is what you would consider a complete clean, inside and out!

As for my juices, they have been a variety of concoctions. I am limited to the variety of fruits as we are still in the season of winter, so a lot of oranges, apples and pineapples. I also made a 'mix up of anything juice' to use up all my old fruits and vegetables before welcoming a new box of organic produce for the week. Pictured is a mixed juice of apple, carrot, beetroot, pineapple, lemon, spinach and ginger. Even with such a variety of blends, it still tasted great!


So anyway, here is a snippet of whats been produced from my kitchen over the last couple of days to add to my snacks and crackers reservoirs

Raw Banana and fig balls, Raw Coconut and Chocolate rounds, Raw Vanilla and almond balls 

Raw Banana and Fig balls have been something that I have made regularly for many years - ever since Starzi was born. Its simple and enjoyed by everyone. I usually have all of these simple ingredients on hand at all times.

Recipe:
Process until combined:
2 fresh bananas
about 8 or so dried figs
a cup of sesame seeds
and a cup of dried coconut.
Roll into balls and roll in more coconut,
Please adjust quantities to your preference as I usually just use handfuls at a time to make my mixture.
I like to freeze a large batch of these to store for a long period of time. They are easily eaten direct from the freezer and are not hard like you would expect.

Raw Banana and fig balls
 Raw chocolate and coconut rounds was something that just happened from an 'on the spot' mix of ingredients as I was gaining inspiration from a mix of recipes.

Recipe:
In a high speed blender, combine until smooth:
1/2 cup of cacao nibs,
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup of honey and a couple of dates.
Add this chocolaty goo to:
1 cup of crumbled macadamia nuts,
1 1/2 cups of coconut shreds,
dash of vanilla powder.
Roll into balls and flatten and coat in more coconut shreds. Mixture will be quite soft, so let them set in the fridge to harden.


Raw Chocolate and coconut rounds
I also made a batch of what I call raw almond and vanilla balls. These were also a made up selection of ingredients based on what I had an excess of.

Recipe:
Mix in a large bowl:
2 cups of almond meal left over from making almond milk
1 1/2 cups of dried coconut
1/2 cup of honey and some dates
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 Tblsp of vanilla powder

Roll into balls and either eat as it, or dehydrate a portion of the batch to create a crunchier ball - as I did.

Dehydrated almond and vanilla balls on left - fresh almond and vanilla balls on right
I also made up another batch of candied nuts due to the huge success of the sweet and spicy pecan and walnut mix I recently did.
Here is a macadamia version.

Chili and lime Macadamia nuts
Recipe
Soak macadamia nuts for 2 hours.
Rinse and dehydrate for 1 day.
coat dehydrated macadamias in a mix of:
3/4 cup of honey
juice of half a lime
2 Tbls chili powder
2 tsp salt

dehydrate for a further day until honey has candied slightly.

Raw chili and lime macadamia nuts

For something savoury, I made my favourite raw falafels from Gabriel Cousins - Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine book which I use a lot.

Recipe:
Process all ingredients in a food processor until combined but still textured.
1 cup of soaked almonds
1 cup of soaked walnuts
1/2 cup of sesame seeds
1/2 cup of fresh parsley - (I use more herbs then advised as I love the herb taste of these raw falafels)
1/2 cup of fresh coriander
2 cloves of garlic - or more
10 fresh sage leaves
10 fresh oregano leaves
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp salt
2 Tbls olive oil
Roll into balls and dehydrate for up to a day or less

Raw herb falafels

I also made some more kale chips because we love them so much. I tried a new flavour variation today  - curry.
I made this up using a surplus of carrot pulp from my juicing.

Recipe:
1 cup soaked cashews
1 cup of carrot pulp
2 Tbls coriander seeds ground
2 Tbls cumin seeds ground
pinch of salt
2 Tbls mild curry powder
1 Tbls turmeric
Blend in high speed blender until smooth, and then coat kale pieces before dehydrating overnight.

Rhody was enjoying these before they went in the dehydrator!

Raw Curry flavoured Kale chips

And finally using up more left over excess produce in the fridge, I made these batch of green seeded crackers. I cant recall exactly what went in the final product but it was a lot of everything. Here is what I remember I used in a mix of quantities:
Flax seeds
pumpkin seeds
black and white sesame seeds
almond pulp

tomato
spinach leaves
fresh parsley
zucchini
and some herbs like oregano, thyme
and a few sprinkles of seasoned salt.

I basically threw all the vegetables in the food processor and blended before adding to a large bowl filled with the seeds and nuts. I stirred it all together and spread on teflex trays and dehydrated overnight flipping once. This is one way to ensure your kids are getting a dose of greens, calcium from the sesame and omegas from the flax.

raw 'Greens and seeds' crackers 
   
This just goes to show that anything goes - blend it up, mix it up and make it up!
Its all good!


3 comments:

  1. It is 2 weeks until mum gets here and she eats very healthy.. I am going to follow some of your recipes and see what she thinks!! I know she will <3 love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ever so much for putting these delicious recipes online with such clear instructions and images. It is very appreciated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks David - glad you like them. Its a real pleasure to share my interest with those who appreciate it. Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete