Share my passion

Follow me on my journey through Motherhood, the Divine world of Raw Organic Eating, Greater Spiritual Awarness and a life that will eventually lead to Self Sufficiency and Complete Contentment.......This is my journey.....



Saturday 6 August 2011

Raw Kale chips, hummus dips and snacks for trips

My dehydrator has been churning solid for a few days now, pumping out all kinds of dehydrated snacks. I have quite a collection building up to make for a great variety of raw snack packs for the kids.

A collection of raw dehydrated travel snacks


I have made the ever so popular Kale chips, in both favourite versions- spicy bbq and cheesy garlic.


Raw Spicy bbq kale chips

Raw cheesy garlic kale chips

As I have previously posted the recipe for the Spicy bbq, here is the recipe for our cheesy garlic kale chips.

Recipe Raw Cheesy garlic kale chips:

1 cup of soaked cashews
1/4 cup of water
juice of half a lemon
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 bulb of garlic - yes that's right an entire bulb!
1 tsp salt
1 Tbls agave

Blend all of the ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy.
Pour over washed and torn (de-stemed) kale pieces

Cheesy garlic sauce ready to massage into kale

Massage sauce onto kale until evenly covered

Kale covered in cheesy garlic sauce 
Spread onto teflex trays, sprinkle with dried granulated garlic and dehydrate until crispy (usually just overnight)

Raw cheesy garlic kale chips ready to dehydrate
Rhody will eat these until his breathe reeks of garlic! - which I don't mind as I know it helps keeps the colds away.


I have also been busy making more crackers. These are delicious zucchini and walnut crackers that have a delicious 'buttery' taste which have become a household favourite.

Raw zucchini and walnut 'buttery' cracker Recipe:

Basically blend equal parts soaked walnuts and zucchini with some flaxmeal and salt. The portions I use to make 3 trays is 3 cups zuchini with 3 cups walnuts (or pecans) with 1 cup of flaxmeal and a 1 Tbls salt. I process until blended, but still slightly coarse for texture.
Spread onto trays and dehydrate overnight, flipping once.

Raw zucchini and walnut 'buttery' crackers
These are great for savoury or sweet toppings

Next I made up some apple rings as I had an over supply of apples at the moment.

Raw crispy apple slinky rings


Recipe of crispy apple rings: 
These are simply made by chopping apples into thin slices - made easier by using an apple slinky machine, spreading onto trays and dehydrating. The longer they dry the crispier they become. I left mine for about 2 days and they are now very crunchy - just the way the kids love them best.

Apple Slinky's ready to crisp in dehydrator

Another great snack I made was these super food nut bars, filled with lots of goodness.

Raw super goji, maca, cacao bars
Recipe for 'super bars'
As I had some left over almond pulp from my nut milks, I used that as the base.
To this (which was about 3 cups) I added: 
2 cups of chopped cashews, 
1 cup of macadamia nuts,
1/2 cup activated pepitas,
1/2 cup of soaked linseeds,
1 cup of goji berries,
1/2 cup cacao nibs,
1/4 cup maca powder,
1 tsp vanilla powder,
dash of salt,
lemon zest
and 1 cup of agave syrup.

This was all mixed together in a bowl by hand and flattened onto trays. I cut them into bars and dehydrated for about 2 days to get them totally dry for longer shelf life. They can be dehydrated for less and eaten partially moist, but must be consumed with a few days and store in fridge.
I finished them off with a strip of chocolate made by blending until smooth 1 cup cacao nibs, 3/4 cup agave and 1/2 cup of coconut oil. I used a piping bag to create stripes. (Recipe was inspired by a recipe in Matt Kenney's 'everyday raw' book) 

Then there was these little battered raw zucchini chips.

Raw zucchini battered chips


Recipe for Raw battered zucchini chips:

These were simply made by thinly slicing a few zucchinis, coated in a couple of Tbls of olive oil and then coated in a mixture of 'powdered buckwheaties', nutritional yeast, granulated garlic and salt.
Dehydrate until totally crispy - about 2 days.
The final result is a very crunchy subtle cheesy battered chip. Great for dipping in raw hummus or enjoying as is.

And....
Finally, I made my second batch of sweet and spicy pecan and walnut mix. It was my second batch because my first batch got eaten before it finished dehydrating - they were that addictive!
I found this recipe in one of Ani Phyos books and am now addicted. This batch is almost all gone too even though I tripled the quantities!



Addictive raw sweet and spicy coated pecan and walnut mix


Recipe for sweet and spicy walnut and pecan mix:
I soaked 2 cups of both pecans and walnuts for about 6 hours, then drained and rinsed.
I then mixed through a tsp of chilli powder, 1 tsp of cardomon powder, 1 tsp nutmeg. 1 tsp salt and 1/4 cup of raw honey. spread onto dehydrator trays and dried until nuts are crispy and honey is candied. This is an addictive blend of sweet and spicy that is so moreish. I cant stop at one!


I did say hummus dips, so here is my favourite bean free hummus dip that is so super fast to whip up and tastes wonderful. I made up a batch last minute yesterday for a social gathering. Always a  great standby to serve with carrot sticks. My kids love it and will lick the bowl clean with their fingers.

Recipe for Raw bean free hummus:
2 zucchinis peeled and chopped
3/4 cup of sesame seeds
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup of olive oil
4 garlic cloves
2 tsp salt
1/2 Tbls cumin

Blend in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy.
Top with a drizzle of olive oil and another sprinkle of cumin.
Serve with raw vegetable strips, or as I did carrot and zucchini battered chips.

Bean free Raw hummus with raw 'dippers'
My dehydrator and myself are all 'fooded' out and will both be taking a break from food.

Michael and I are starting a 6 day juice cleanse before undertaking our first colonic next week.
I missed my usual 'new moon fast' this cycle but will start one in the morning. This time of the waxing moon is not ideal for detoxing, but this is the time that is convenient for Michael's work and he was keen to participate in this detox with me, so we are compromising and being flexible with what is ideal.

I will keep updates on our juice cleanse beginning tomorrow.



1 comment:

  1. Those zucchini chips are amazing! I made 2 trays of them the other night, and ate them all in bed when they were only 3/4 cooked. Yesterday I wised up and put them on as I was going to bed - much better idea.
    Brendan has been away this week and I sent him with a bag of the nuts to snack on while working. He's really enjoyed them too!
    Thanks for the new snack ideas!

    ReplyDelete