Share my passion

Follow me on my journey through Motherhood, the Divine world of Raw Organic Eating, Greater Spiritual Awarness and a life that will eventually lead to Self Sufficiency and Complete Contentment.......This is my journey.....



Friday 5 August 2011

Yummy, greasy, raw, vegan bacon or is it Calamari?

Sounds interesting doesn't it? Raw, Vegan Bacon or Calamari? Yes, I have once been a fan of bacon and ate it as a luxury on the occasional Sunday with fried eggs, that was a long time ago. I have also enjoyed in the past some calamari....

Well this week I discovered something even tastier and a darn lot better for you.

Raw, Vegan bacon!

Greasy, raw vegan Bacon or Calamari!
Made simply by scraping out the flesh of a young coconut, cutting it into strips, tossing about 1 Tblsp of Nama Shoyu and 1 Tblsp of olive oil, and letting it dehydrate for 2 or so hours.
The result is a bowl of juicy, moist, warm slithers of 'yummyness'. I ate the entire bowl in one serve. I was intending on holding off on a couple of pieces to let Michael try when he got home from work, but sorry - there was none left. I had to make a second batch so he could try it the following day. He then asked if I knew how to make raw fried eggs to go with his raw bacon ;)

6 comments:

  1. Okey interesting all right... ummmmm I wouldnt have a clue... Some kind of oil that has been mixed with something.. ummm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Tash. It is something coated in a little oil...keep guessing.??

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's usually eggplant for bacon, but I'm not so sure from the pic whether it is or not. I'd say some Nama Shoyu or equivalent mixed in with the oil...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, It is nama shoyu and olive oil, but not eggplant. I have also only seen eggplant used as a raw bacon, but this is different and quite a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. coconut pulp from a young thai coconut - it's the only thing I can think of that would have the same glossy/opaque look with a slimy texture

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it is! Added with a tablespoon of olive oil and nama shoyu, then warmed in the dehydrator for a couple of hours reults in this yummy, greasy strips of goodness similar to bacon fat or calamari. I ate the entire bowl after I made it and didnt leave any for Michael who I was intending on letting him taste ;)

    ReplyDelete