Share my passion

Follow me on my journey through Motherhood, the Divine world of Raw Organic Eating, Greater Spiritual Awarness and a life that will eventually lead to Self Sufficiency and Complete Contentment.......This is my journey.....



Friday 10 June 2011

Back online.....

Much to my frustration last week, my computer died. I spent the first half of the day entirely annoyed by this fact, wondering how I could continue to conduct my everyday life without it. Transfering money, updating this blog, emails, movies.....it seemed we were going to be in for a bad week as we waited for a replacement. Even Michael was anxious as he wanted to get back on facebook. I didnt realise until then how much the computer dominated our lives, and I didnt like it. I want the computer to be a part of our lives, but don’t want to think that everything is suddenly impossible and complicated if it was unavailable for a week. I want to be able to 'willingly' turn off the computer for a week and enjoy it.

Eventually by the end of the first day, I came to accept the fact that the computer was unavailable and just 'got on with it'. It has turned out to be the best week in a long time in regard to the kids behaviour and the time Michael has spent with them. In our house we dont have a television because we dont agree with the content most times and think children should be watching life, not television, but I have now come to realise just how much the computer has replaced that addiction and become like a television. Its not like we use it all day, but it is used everyday and movies have become an easy 'keep em quiet' stratagy on the kids while I try to get a few things done, especially as the weather is cold and wet and we are destined to spend a few weeks indoors. After being forced to not be able to use a movie as an instant time passer and occupier for the children, I have notices how much their behaviour had improved.
They spent the entire week indoors, inventing games, creating artworks and playing so incredibly well together and being very tollerant of each other. It was a delight to watch. In the evenings when Michael got home from work, instead of settling in front of the computer for an hour or so, while I tried to hurry them off to bed so I could do the usual emails and internet recipe searching, while they demanded our attention with tantrums and refusals to go, we found ourselves spending quality time with them and they blossomed from it. I was in no rush to get them off to bed to get my ‘uninterupted’ computer time, instead they stayed awake, role playing games while I did a few household catchup chores and read them stories, until they were truley ready for bed and went without a fuss.
Having a week without the computer has been a real awakening. I will not be using u-tube movies as a boredom buster and will try to rely less on the role of a computer in my daily life, and welcome the next week I experience without one. I may have to introduce a monthly computer detox while I do my juice fasting....

No comments:

Post a Comment