Share my passion

Follow me on my journey through Motherhood, the Divine world of Raw Organic Eating, Greater Spiritual Awarness and a life that will eventually lead to Self Sufficiency and Complete Contentment.......This is my journey.....



Wednesday 22 June 2011

Re-creating The Raw Kitchen Nachos

I was so impressed with the Nachos from the weekends visit to the Raw Kitchen in Fremantle that I just had to try and re-create the dish at home to serve up to Michael. Even though my attempt didn't look quite the same, it was still really yummy and got a huge thumbs up from Michael.



Recipe
Corn chips:
I purchased 2x 600g bags of frozen corn. These unfortunately were not organic and I do not have access to organic fresh corn at the moment, so these were the available substitute.
After defrosting the corn kernels, I blended them in the food processor with an array of spices...cumin, turmeric, chili, salt and coriander and a teaspoon of agave. I also blended 2 medium carrots in the mix to add bulk to the mixture.
I then soaked about 1 cup of whole flax seeds in a small amount of water for about 15 mins to form a flax gel. This was also added to the mix and processed again until smooth.
I spread this mixture evenly over the teflex trays and dehydrated for about 24 hours to ensure maximum crispness, similar to a corn chip.
I broke up the chips into regular chip size pieces. 

Refried beans:
I made the mock bean mixture by soaking sunflower seeds for 2 hours and then draining and rinsing. I then processed the sunflower seeds in the processor with 1 small fresh tomato and a cup of semi dried tomatoes I had made the night before in the dehydrator. I added a dash of namo shoyu and some cumin and chili. The end result was something that looked similar to 'cat food or vomit' but tasted really yummy! I will have to work on the 'look' of the final product to appease the eye. 

Sour cream:
I made a lovely smooth sour cream for topping by blending an equal quantity of cashews and macadamias with enough water to cover in the vita mix blender jug. I added a dash of apple cider vinegar, the juice of 1 small lime and some salt. This was blended until completely smooth and of a runny texture to pour. 

Assemble:
Place a layer of corn chips on a plate, top with the refried beans, a diced tomato, a diced avocado and then a dribble of sour cream. Delicious!


     

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, you've inspired me Peta, will definately make time on the weekend to have a play with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm I have been craving Nachos! going to give this a try tomorrow. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete