Share my passion

Follow me on my journey through Motherhood, the Divine world of Raw Organic Eating, Greater Spiritual Awarness and a life that will eventually lead to Self Sufficiency and Complete Contentment.......This is my journey.....



Thursday 23 June 2011

Raw Cacao or Raw carob?


After reading a number of conflicting articles on raw Cacao, I decided I would like to reduce my intake of this 'superfood' and try to substitute a sweeter and more easily obtained ingredient - carob. My reasons for this is quite simple. Its not about comparing each on its high nutritional value, but instead my decision is of a practical one. Cacao beans are grown in a remote part of the world in a tropical rainforest where I have never been and the possibility of ever growing my own cacao tree in my backyard is very unlikely, whereas, the carob tree actually grows prolifically in Kalgoorlie lining the streets, each tree flourishing with carob pods covering the limbs of each tree and piles of pods scattered all over the ground. 













Eating within ones natural, local environment is one of the most important ideals of good health in my belief and carob is certainly a good example of that.

The other reason is taste. To eat a raw cacao bean straight from the tree is rather unappealing. It is quite bitter and not at all nice. The only way it is enjoyed is when it is mixed with a high amount of sweetners such as dates, honey or agave to create a resemblance to chocolate we all know. In fact the beans are not at all inticing to the animal kingdom as not one known species of animal will eat it. Whereas the carob pod on the other hand is a really nice snack, delicious bush tucker freshly picked from the tree.

Rhody enjoying fresh bush tucker


Often when we are out bike riding and we pass under a carob tree loaded with pods, we will stop to pick a few and the kids will chew on them like a lolly stick. The flavour is close to a chocolate caramel and is really tasty. Im not sure if animals eat them, but my kids and I do and we like them. So those are my two main reasons for choosing carob over cacao.

Fallen pods ready to eat


To put the carob to the test, I made up a simple chocolate pie for dessert and I was really impressed with the outcome.

  Michael enjoyed a huge slice and Starzi exclaimed while she was eating her piece ' This is my favourite'. I found it to be really delicious and not over powering as I didnt get that sweetness overdose that I often experience when I indulge in a lovely piece of raw cacao treat.
I will be sure to experiment further with carob powder as I satisfy my chocolate cravings.
As I am not one to ever measure my ingredients while I am creating meals, nor keep record of what ingredients I used, I will try my best to give a general idea of what was used to recreate this delicious dessert.

Raw Carob pie
Base:
Using equal parts macadamia nuts,  presoaked almonds and dates, I processed until a sticky crumble.
Pressing this into the bottom of a lined pie tart, I placed it in the freezer to set as I prepared the carob centre.

Carob centre:
In the high speed blender, I added about 1/2 cup of carob powder, the flesh of 3 young coconuts, about 1/2 cup of coconut oil, about 10 dates, 1 tablespoon of honey, pinch of vanilla powder and a handful of macadamias. This was blended until really smooth and fudgy. I poured this yummy goo over the pie base and let set in the freezer for an hour.
I served our slices with raw cream (cashews, macadamia nuts and a date blended with water until creamy) and topped with frozen berries and fresh fruit.

2 comments:

  1. I want to take the pods to playgroup now as a fruit contribution experiment, I always wondered what those trees were with that smell over early autumn that you cant escape from

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. Such a fun and novel way to intice kids to eat naturally by bringing the pods to the playgroup fruit platter. I am keen to hear the reaction by children and parents.

    ReplyDelete