Share my passion

Follow me on my journey through Motherhood, the Divine world of Raw Organic Eating, Greater Spiritual Awarness and a life that will eventually lead to Self Sufficiency and Complete Contentment.......This is my journey.....



Saturday 25 June 2011

Home preserved Olives...

We love olives, and since the majority of olives sold are usually pasteurised and preserved in a toxic chemical called sodium hydroxide, or caustic soda, and this chemical is poisonous to humans, we decided to make our own.

Two months ago, I was directed to a very old tree way out in Menzies town that was loaded with beautiful large green olives. We spent the day picking several buckets, each filled to the brim.I then spent a few late nights de-seeding the majority of them and then a further month rinsing them daily in fresh water. My bathroom was filled with buckets of olives and each night my bathtub was filled as I rinsed them and exchanged their water to rid their bitterness.

It was quite a task and I often wondered if it would be all worth it.

I was keen to keep the ingredients of the process entirely local, so was told of a spot nearby where we could obtain some pure salt for the preserving stage. We made a day trip with the kids to the salt lake and filled a tub full of salt. The hardest part was lugging the heavy tub back to the car which seemed like a mile as we walked out quite a bit to seek the whitest and purest form.


The salt was then rinsed and the salt solution was made. This was another huge process as I had to boil water with the salt to dissolve the solids and then make a consistency that would be concentrated enough to float a raw egg. I had to make up 8 buckets full and then transfer the olives to the this salty solution.



They have been soaking and preserving in this salty solution for a month or so and we have began to relish in our rewards. I can say the huge process has been truly worth it. The olives are beautiful and I have a supply that should see  us through until next years crop.



I have marinated a few bottles to share with my friends who provided the olives, in slices of home grown limes and garlic,  topped with local backyard pressed olive oil. The experience has not only made me appreciate and enjoy each olive much more but it also has been a great lesson in our future life of self-sufficiency.




No comments:

Post a Comment